Sunday, September 6, 2009

Paddington Station to Liskeard

Hey, there! This is the inaugural post for my EU trip and what better a fitting place than Liskeard, Cornwall? Indeed, there really isn't a better place. Here's a quick update of what I've done so far. Ideally, the next post will be about what I've eaten, which will be even than this post better because it includes "lust" and stinging nettle. So fascinating...

At any rate, here's a great fact: both Paddington Bear and I have traveled through Paddington Station. He grabbed marmalade while there, I grabbed Muller Corner Yoghurt. (Visit Paddington Bear's website for more information about his amazing life--did you know he's from Peru!?) I had a great train ride from Paddington to Lisekard, where I met up with my friend Roz, with whom I did my DTS back in 2008. It's been great catching up with her as she's helped ease me back into English culture.


And really, so far, it's been enjoyable reacquainting myself with the English culture. For instance, accepting that people incessantly say "cheers" especially in situations where I would say "thank you" or nothing at all. Or, realizing again just how amazingly low the prices are here: 12p for a liter and a half of sparkling water. 12p! That's about 20 US cents. Amazing prices, I say!

 
I'm staying at Roz's parents' house somewhere around Liskeard. She and I wandered into Looe yesterday and enjoyed the ocean, Cornish pasties, and coffee. A cute little fishing village much like Kennebunkport, Maine...only older. The tide was out so it wasn't super busy with fishing boats, and let's be honest, it was a little stinky. However, it was still incredibly quaint and fun to window shop in.

 
We checked out Trego Mills, quite the bizarre place as it looks like an amusement park, but it's really a Home Deopt, IKEA, and, say, JC Penney's rolled into one castle-like building. One is indeed not amused as one tries to find what one needs at Trago. Still great to experience one of the many happenings in Cornish life.
Today we walked with the dogs on the south coast. A great sunny day to meander down the trail, saying "hi" to people, and see sheep and cows further up the hillsides.

It's more Cornish goodness until Tuesday, when I take the train back to London and up to Harpenden. I'm looking forward to sharing more with you soon!

No comments: