Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The end of the road

My brother and I arrived in Berlin last night, the last stop on my European tour. I've realized I'm not the best of travel writers, frequently not keeping up with the days activities. Sorry about that. Nonetheless, a brief recap:

Munich, Germany:
  • We stayed at my brother's friend's house who insisted on feeding us Bavarian food every day. Sausage for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yikes! Fun to experience, but, whew! However, I now appreciate spatzel and will have to try making it when I get home
  • I spent the better half of a day perusing the Deutches Museum, a museum of industrial history. Planes, trains, bridges, locks and keys, motors, printing, computers, my gosh--it just didn't stop and we didn't even see it all!
  • I ate a lot of pretzels and only near the end, did I realize how good they taste with mustard! 
  • Enjoyed a swim at one of the oldest public schwimmbads in Germany
Berlin, Germany:
  • Enjoyed some phenomenal sushi two buildings down from my hostel.
  • Walked to Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenberg Gate, Murdered European Jew memorial (very neat--at least the above-ground part!), and a remaining chunk of the Berlin Wall. Check an online photo tour here 
  • Enjoyed a brief, half-understood, but very enjoyable conversation with an old man on the sidewalk who exclaimed "Ich bin ein Berliner!" after I told him I was from America. He told my brother and I that he was a seaman back in the day. It would have been so cool to hear more of his story!
  • I've had fun having the "green man" guide me across the streets of East Berlin who is quite a local favorite and a tourist favorite as his silhouette is pasted on many a trinket
  • Playing Frisbee on the lawn in front of the capital building
No photos, as my camera is up in my room, but I shall certainly post many upon my return home this weekend! 

1 comment: