Monday, September 14, 2009

A Menagerie of Shots

Hard to believe I leave for Paris tomorrow. This past week has been great, again, just hanging out in Harpenden with friends and hitting up the ol' stomping grounds. Here's a bit of what I've been doing these past few days...

One of many walks down to the high street.
 
  
 
 
And of course an official Royal Post bicycle which always make me smile when I see them:

And back from the high street, a few groceries purchased (my gosh, I guess this means I have to admit I bought instant coffee!):

Around the bend on the Oval, I got to spend some time in the Oval Cafe with a few friends whilst it was closed and was able to take a couple of exclusive shots:
 
 
Later, I handed out some Fun Dip (classic 80s American candy) to some friends on base. These grown adults went crazy for it and I am now in an exclusive distribution deal with them. Nonetheless, they are good actors while on a sugar high.

Late last week I wandered into Luton, where I spent a lot of Wednesday afternoons back in 2008 at St. Mary's church. The building is 850 years old, something you really just do get back in America, do you.

 
Nothing like headstones of people who have been dead for a really long time (I prefer these to the crypts one typically walks on in the isles of old churches).
  
Before I took a few photos at the church, I went to the Arndale Mall across the street from the church for some necessary Primark shopping and a tuna and sweetcorn baguette from Gregg's. I took it all outside to eat on the pedestrian mall, which is a premiere place to people watch. People are always hawking their beliefs or selling various utilities and such to people out shopping. So, after being accosted by a yogi about a free book about spirituality and reincarnation (which I regretfully didn't take--it would've been a fascinating read--as I was too hungry to stop and chat), it only made sense that I was approached by some interns from the Luton News. They wanted my opinion on this week's topic of fasting for the month of September for Ramadan. Thankfully, I didn't get last week's question about one's thoughts on the band Oasis breaking up.


Ah, good times. I'm off on the Eurostar to Paris via the chunnel tomorrow. I'm looking forward to having flavour back in the food I eat again.

No comments: