Friday, September 18, 2009

Miscellaneous Fun

Just a few observations and events to share as I get ready to head out for dinner in Maastricht, Netherlands:

  •  It was strange to experience my first McDonald's McCafe. Drank a cafe au lait with my brother right outside the Paris Nord station while Michael Jackson was playing on the loudspeakers certainly confused my senses
  • My brother and I met a pantomiming drunk Parisian who was apparently willing to fight my brother for me (little did he know I would have paid him to take my brother). We also came across a nice protest inside the train station, including drums, banners, and firecrackers. No word on what they were protesting and the policie certainly didn't care any more than we did. (nonetheless, the drums were fun to dance to)
  • Had a phenomenal cafe au lait and Belgium waffle at the Brussels train station this morning (though I prefer my waffles hot, it was still great).
  • Learned that not every Belgium citizen is personal friends with Kim Clijster (shame!)
  • At perhaps too much chocolate in Brussels. (I never thought that was possible. I stand corrected)
  • Also learned that Belgium frites are double fried to create their tasty goodness
  • Had a lovely dinner in Paris with my brother his friend and his friend's mother, of all people. It was a comedy translating what we could of the menu, throwing caution to the wind, and guessing the rest. I highly recommend this food-ordering method.
  • I got to meet my coworkers in Maastricht who I've worked with for over a year, but just met face-to-face for the first time. (note: thankfully their humor and generosity are much better and more abundant than the office coffee) 
Perhaps I'll have time to write a more in-depth reflection on my life and times whilst in Brussels and Maastricht, but now it is time to play tourist and explore this city that was built by the Romans--can you believe that!?

Have a great weekend!

No comments: