Thursday, September 20, 2007

Gravity

I was watching PBS the other day--one of those fun science shows with hip music, awesome graphics, and a cool narrator--and one of their topics was "Don't Hate Gravity," which the title alone glued me to the show. Up until then I had never thought about hating gravity before, nevertheless any other law of physics. I don't, just so we're clear, but it did make me think about something that I've never considered before.

Anyway, their point, and now mine, is that if it weren't for gravity, we wouldn't really just hover a few inches off the ground or be able to fly from one city to another. No. Instead, because of the centrifugal force of the earth and lack of gravity, we'd fly right off, through the clouds, through the atmosphere, into outer space and towards the object in our universe with the least mass. Sad thing is, no one knows what that object is with the least amount of mass, probably a black hole or something.

Thank you gravity, for making our lives a little more substantial than flying through space for 27 boring years.

No comments: