Saturday, September 8, 2007

Art: who knew it was so neat!?

I'm sure someone along the way has told me how fun art can be, but I didn't listen. No, I just didn't think I'd enjoy it so I let their words of recommendation swirl over me like a Monet painting. I have to admit, however, that I had a blast at the Pablo Picasso exhibit at the Walker with my I-know-a-lot-more-about-art-than-Heidi-friend, Greta. That's not saying much, so that's why I added "a-lot-more" to that prefix.

I think that is what I needed to get me out to see some art, a friend who knows art, but has a great sense of humor, too. If Greta ever got frustrated with my infantile art mind, she never let on. In fact, she encouraged it, which made me admit--out loud--that I was having much more fun that I had imagined. Sure, the crowd was stuffy (it was about 90 degrees in there ;o) ), but it's easy to overlook that when there's so much great art around.

What really made me laugh was trying to guess the titles of the paintings and then trying to ascertain the title in the paintings--something that shouldn't be done alone!

But, it wasn't all fun and games. After Greta explained how the exhibit was set up, by the end of it, I felt artsy too! The Walker had displayed a Picasso piece and dozens of other pieces done by artists who were inspired by that particular Picasso. It was so, dare I say, cool to analyze the paintings and find the impact Picasso had on the artists. Sometimes it was pretty obvious, other times, not so, but that is what made it so much fun!

Good times are available at the Walker every Thursday night for free, thanks to Target. Thank you Target!

;o)

No comments: