Saturday, September 15, 2007

Cucumbers

Every once in a while my "foods-that-I-just-don't- like-but-wish-I-did" list changes and shifts, sometimes getting longer, sometimes getting shorter.
It's usually not easy to scratch something off the list; it took me about 3 years of eating BLTs--not my usual BLs--to finally like fresh tomatoes, and I'm still unwilling to nibble sushi with raw fish on it. However, today it is with great pleasure that I tell you that I have removed cucumbers from this list by having eaten 8 cucumbers this summer with this classic recipe: Refrigerator Pickles.

Refrigerator Pickles
Ingredients
2 thinly sliced cucumbers
1 or 1/2 thinly sliced red onion
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons celery seed

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

Instructions
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well so the salt and celery seeds are well blended with the cucumbers. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Combine sugar and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl; mix until most, if not all, of the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the cucumbers and mix well. Eat immediately or let it sit for a few minutes, hours or days--either way they're delicious!

Thank you Refrigerator Pickles!

2 comments:

Dan and Sarah said...

Isn't blogging fun? I'm so excited you are blogging too :) And may I be one of the firsts to officially "comment" on it!

SWHo said...

Mmm, fridge cucumbers sound tasty. My mouth is watering as we speak (or type).