Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Panda Fashion

Hello Again!

I've spent close to 6 weeks in Tanzania and I'm excited to share with you a few highlights as my time here draws to a close. Okay, so there's one or two low lights as well, but all things considered, they're really not that bad.

  • "Panda Fashion" is hands-down, my favorite beverage down here in Tanzania. Fanta Passion Fruit that is. I will miss it and half-jokingly considered a Panda Fashion import business once I am back home.
  • I cordially had to accept, drink, and compliment 2 cups of fresh goat's milk in one day. Let's just say I'm very, very glad I had a cold and couldn't taste everything normally. Unfortunately colds don't do anything for strange textures in your mouth.
  • I've taken part in eating 7 goats whilst here. I "prefer" (I don't like goat at all) the boiled and then roasted cooking method.
  • I've had the opportunity on several occasions, to dance, sing, and jump with Maasai people. It is a privilege to say that I have jumped with some of the finest Maasai dancers around.
  • After weeks in Africa, I finally discovered my first--and only--herd of elephants on a rip-roaring safari. Elephants are cool. Giraffes are beautiful. Wildebeest look like Swiss Miss Cocoa girls.
  • After weeks if Africa, I was finally told that baboons are the nastiest animals in the Serengeti and you can face heavy fines for approaching them. This after my teammate excitedly walked up to them to take photos only to run away frightened as the started chasing her with evil eyes.
  • Traveling 10 hours to Loliondo through Crater National Park and the Serengeti.
  • Buying trinkets at the Maasai market in a small village in the Loliondo area.
  • Buying 2 chapatis and a Fanta Passion for only 800 shilling (75 cents)
  • Befriending Mark and Andrew, 2 cool--and tall--Maasai guys who helped us with our outreach in Loliondo.
  • Giving Mark my birthday because he doesn't know what day of the year, or which year for that matter, that he was born.
  • Receiving 3 necklaces from 3 different Maasai women as gestures of friendship.
  • Eating freshly roasted peanuts
  • Talking with friends from all over Africa about how they became Christians and connected with YWAM.
  • Talking about the Bible in English and having my words translated to Swahili and Maasai
That's all from Tanzania! Have a good day, and next time you hear from me, I'll be back in England.


No comments: